Oldest Hindu Temple in Kuala, Lumpur
Updated: Oct 21, 2018
I'm a big fan of Temples and Museums. I think, I already mentioned it before. Hehehe... Anyhow, this is my backlog post. I went to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with my sister and planned to go to the oldest Hindu Temple in Kuala Lumpur - Sri Mahamariamman Temple as our first in the list on our third day itinerary.
Sri Mahamariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu Temple and the most popular temples among worshippers and visitors alike in Kuala Lumpur. It was founded by K. Thamboosamy Pillai in 1873 and was initially used as a private shrine by the Pillai family.
It is divided to 4 architectures:
- Main Prayer Hall
- Silver Chariot
- Bangunan Mariamman
How to get to the Sri Mahamariamman Temple
1. From KL Sentral station (Kelana Jaya Line), buy a ticket going to the Pasar Seni station (1 station away from KL Sentral).
2. From the Pasar Seni station, you have to walk along Jalan Sultan and then turn left into Jalan Tuh H. S. Lee.
3. You will see the Sri Mahamarianmman Temple on your left side.
Main Prayer Hall & Silver Chariot
- Shoes are not allowed inside the temple. You need to put your shoes in a storing area near the entrance door of the temple. There's a charge fee for that.
- Though there's a free sarong to cover your legs, as much as possible, don't wear shorts. Of course, it's a temple - shorts are not allowed inside of it. (I know, I'm wearing shorts. Sorry naman po. *wink*)
I really love this temple. I love how very colorful and very detailed all the statues and ceiling I saw inside of it. And the place is very solemn.
I got amazed when I saw the three shrines in the main temple which is roofed by an ornamental embellished dome. I am just standing in front of it and looking at it. And oh!, you will see Lord Ganesha and Lord Muruga located around the main prayer hall.
This is a-must place to visit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Monday - Thursday and Sunday: 6:00AM - 8:30PM
Friday: 6:00AM - 9:30PM
Saturday: 6:00AM - 9:00PM
Entrance Fee is free of charge, but you need to pay 1.50 MYR as charge fee for storing your shoes since it is not allowed to wear a shoe inside the temple.
Sri Mahamariamman Temple
Jalan Tun H. S. Lee (Jalan Bandar) 50050 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Tel: + 604 263 4941